The holidays are fast approaching and aside from spending time with my friends and family, there’s nothing I enjoy more than cozying up in front of the fire with a new book that I can’t put down.
With that in mind, here are ten of the best books I’ve read recently; ones that you may want to borrow from my bookshelf or wrap up and place under the christmas tree.
1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
– this powerful and poignant novel introduces readers to a side of society we know exists, but that many struggle to truly understand. The Hate U Give shines a vivid light on America’s ongoing struggle between police violence and systematic racism. It was also one of the most enlightening books that l read all year.
2. Exit West by Mohsin Hamad
– with just a faint trace of fantastical realism, Exit West depicts the daunting plight of refugees; those who are forced into migration by war raging in their homelands.
3. The Scarlet Pimpernal by Baroness Orczy
– first written as a...